Many passages and verses in the holy book of Christianity teach about the afterlife. However, being involved in paranormal activity is not encouraged in this religion.
Still, it has always been fascinating to people who seek answers about the appearance of supernatural beings such as ghosts.
So, what does the Bible say about ghosts? Let’s get into the details!
What Does the Bible Say About Ghosts and Spiritual Beings?
Plenty of Bible passages talk about the existence of a spiritual world aside from the one we can see. The scriptures talk about the spiritual realm between angels and demons, which is not a spiritualized version of the dead.
The most common theory about ghosts is that there are spirits of humans who have died. However, according to the Bible, there is no lingering state after death.
This means that when a person dies, their disembodied spirit does not wander the Earth. Instead, their spirit faces judgment and goes to either heaven or hell while their physical body remains on Earth.
Bible verses about ghosts
There are no Biblical verses that directly point out the existence of spirits and ghosts. However, some verses refer to the spirits of those who have left earthly life.
- Hebrews 9:27 (ESV) – ‘’And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment.’’
- Ecclesiastes 12:7 (ESV) – ‘’And the dust returns to the earth as it was, and the spirit returns to God who gave it.’’
- Job 7:9-10 (ESV) – ‘’As the cloud fades and vanishes, so he who goes down to Sheol does not come up; he returns no more to his house, nor does his place know him anymore.’’
- Ecclesiastes 9:5-6 (ESV) – ‘’For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing, and they have no more reward, for the memory of them is forgotten. Their love and their hate and their envy have already perished, and forever they have no more share in all that is done under the sun.’’
Can the Dead Talk With the Living?
Losing a loved one is excruciating and comes with feelings of sadness and nostalgia. Hence, many people start missing their deceased loved ones and wish to see them and hear their voices again.
Some people go beyond that and actively seek ways to communicate with those who have died. The spirits of the dead in the holy book of Christianity are referred to as ‘familiar spirits,’ but the Bible warns not to seek after them.
Based on Christian beliefs, God forbids speaking with the dead and speaks against the practice of mediums and necromancers.
Can the Dead Haunt Houses?
The term haunted house does not appear in the holy book of the Christians. However, the Bible identifies spiritual beings such as angels who are good, holy, and faithful in serving God. In comparison, demons are fallen angels who are evil, deceptive, and destructive.
Evil spirits can appear in the physical world, haunt houses and torment the living. Based on the scripts in the Bible, demons masquerade as ‘angels of light,’ appear as ‘ghosts,’ and impersonate deceased human beings.
The closest biblical example of haunting is found in verse Mark 5:1-20. The biblical meaning of haunting is also mentioned in the following scriptures:
- Job 7:9 -10 ‘’As the cloud fades and vanishes, so he who goes down to Sheol does not come up; he returns no more to his house, nor does his place know him anymore.’’
- Psalm 146:4 ‘’, “When his breath departs, he returns to the earth; on that very day, his plans perish.”
Should We Be Afraid of Ghosts?
The Bible also mentions characters who were afraid when they encountered ghosts. While apparitions, poltergeists, and other forms of evil spirits can be terrifying, the Bible states that God will help you to fight evil, and with his help and protection, no dark force can take hold of you.
“Little children, you are from God and have overcome them, for he who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.” – 1 John 4:4 ESV
What does the Bible say about ghosts? The Bible teaches about the existence of spiritual beings such as ‘ghosts’ that are not dead loved ones but fallen angels trying to deceive us.
Human beings are aware of the existence of the spiritual world and shouldn’t fear them but strengthen their belief in God.
Can a ghost hurt you?
Malicious entities have the power to harm those in the physical world, causing emotional and physical damage.
For this reason, Christians should not take what the Bible says about ghosts lightly and not engage with spiritual beings whether they believe they are harmless or not.
Do Christians believe in ghosts?
Many Christians do believe in the existence of ghosts. Based on their faith, they are malicious entities in disguise that intend to deceive living humans.