The root chakra is the first chakra of matter. The first root chakra is present at the base of the spine. The corresponding body locations are along the first three vertebrae, the perineum, and at the pelvic plexus. It is associated with the feelings of grounding and safety. Present at the base of the chakra system, the root chakra lays the foundation of expansion in life. Did you know that chanting root chakra affirmations can drastically help you bring it into a balance? Let’s learn more about it.
The Root Chakra
In Sanskrit, the root chakra is called the Muladhara. Muladhara breaks down further into two words, ‘Mula’ which means root and ‘Adhara’ meaning base or support. The root chakra is responsible for the basis of the starting point of our development. It is also the first of our energy centres. The life force energy of the root chakra begins with conception and continues with the division of cells during Embryogenesis.
An imbalance in the root chakra may become a cause of uneasiness in many forms. Fortunately, this is reversible and on recognizing the issue certain steps can be taken to revert the first chakra to balance. Some yoga asanas, root chakra affirmations and gemstones help in aligning and opening the root chakra and restoring the balance.
Root Chakra Imbalance Symptoms
Usually, underactive root chakra is referred to when imbalance is discussed but root chakra imbalance is of two types, underactive and overactive. Underactive root chakra is passive whereas overactive is aggressive. If you have an overactive root chakra you will identify with being greedy, angry, workaholic or with being a hoarder.
Whereas a underactive root chakra may result in fears, anxiety disorders and nightmares. If you have been facing problems like anxiety, depression, withdrawing, mistrust and control issue your root chakra needs some balancing.
With a balanced root chakra, your energies flow more freely. It increases your sense of belonging, security and increases self-worth. Read more: How to Unblock Chakras With Crystals
Balancing Your Root Chakra
- Meditation connects you to a higher spiritual plane and can ground you. Establishing a connection with higher power will bring you a sense of security. The smell is the sense that corresponds to the first chakra. Focus on the tip of your nose while meditating. This will help you bring forward the qualities needed to balance and align the root chakra.
- Some yoga asanas also help in opening and aligning the root chakra.
- Pavanamuktasana, knee to chest
- Padmasana, lotus flexion
- Janu Sirsansana, head to knee pose
- Malasana, squatting pose
- Kegel exercises for women
- Bandha yoga for men
- Placing a root chakra gemstone on the area of the chakra while you lie down helps in bringing balance. Some root chakra gemstones are black tourmaline, garnet, red jasper and bloodstone.
Root Chakra Healing
Healing the root chakra is clearing, cleansing, opening, strengthening and supporting the first chakra within the body. The process involves certain sounds, food, smells, root chakra affirmations, yoga and other remedies.
There are certain flowering earthy-scented essential oils which will help in healing the root chakra by grounding and balancing it.
Root Chakra Affirmations
Using affirmations also prove to be very helpful when trying to balance the first chakra.
- I am here and I am safe
- I’m nourished and supported by Mother Earth
- I am safe, protected and guided in this world
- I release any doubts and fears
- With every breath, I release the anxiety and fear within me
- The Earth supports me and meets my needs
- I am financially free
- I love my body and trust its wisdom
- I’m at home in my own body
- I am immersed in abundance
When dealing with a blocked or an overactive root chakra vibrational frequencies of healing stones help in regaining balance. Like chakras, stones have their frequency. Some stones with the same frequency as the root chakra are:
- Smokey quartz
Experiencing the symptoms of imbalance in your chakra may be very uncomfortable and unsettling. Begin with simple steps like using root chakra affirmations or practising meditation to heal your chakra. As you practice these remedies, the symptoms will begin to fade, and your energies will flow. This will help you rejuvenate and connect with yourself better, giving you the life you deserve.